Independence Day!

Happy Independence Day! God bless America and all of her servicemen and women fighting and sacrificing so much so that we can live in freedom!

I'm declaring my independence from obesity today! This was my first 4th of July that I truly felt comfortable in my skin. I wasn't uncomfortable or self-conscious, worrying what people were thinking when they saw me waddle down the street to our spot for the parade - worrying what people were thinking when they saw me eat at the community family fest in the afternoon, purposesly eating next to NOTHING to give everyone the impression that I was "healthy".

My daughter was walking in the parade with the high school cheerleaders, and unlike in the past, I didn't hang on the edges of the group, too self-conscious and convinced the other moms were talking about me. I met some really wonderful, genuine people today, and really felt like I had a place - that I belonged. It was pretty cool :)

We hung out at the parade with another family with kids that the same age as my kids, and it was so easy. We stayed after the parade for the community ice cream social and listened to the entertainment together. It was such a great morning!

In the afternoon, we went to the community family fest with another family and again, it was so easy. I compromised with the "bad" and the "good" when packing our picnic fare and had a little bit of both ...


Watermelon



Strawberries



Edamame



Spam Musubi



Pizza Burgers and hot dogs

You're probably grossed out about the spam musubi, but it's a family favorite! I made a "healthier" version using low sodium spam and brown rice. Sidebar - I'm very proud to say my family has switched completely to brown rice! We buy a japanese genmai that we've only found at Mitsuwa's in Arlington Heights, IL. It's pricer than our usual white rice ($27 for a 15 lb bag) but it's so worth it! Oh - the pizza burgers are so sinfully delicious, and if you're on Weight Watchers, they're only 2 pts a patty!! I can't remember the exact brand names for the genmai and pizza burgers because I've thrown the containers out already, but I'll be sure to post them if anyone's interested!

I have more photos on Facebook if you'd like to see them - let me know you're a friend from my blog :) I hope everyone had a great holiday - share your picnic goodies with us!

xo,


"I believe everyone deserves a happily ever after. But I think that happy endings down't just happen by accident - you can't wait for one. You have to make them happen. If you want to be happy you have to work to make it happen. You can't just wish for it and you can't put it in the hands of other people." Mirror, in "The Everafter War" by Michael Buckley

2 comments:

iampalegreen said...

Sounds like a great day! And that watermelon and strawberries look DELICIOUS!

I have had the SAME thinking as you. I guess it works in my favor, but I always feel sooooo self-conscious about eating crap in public. Like I can hear people whispering to each other "Why is that fat girl eating cheeseburgers and fries?" So I try my best to eat healthy foods when I'm out. Sort of a "See, I'm TRYING!"

KM said...

Pizza burgers sound interesting..you may have to look up the brand to them so I can look for them one day.

Spam...YUM! The low sodium spam is actually pretty good. It's what I usually get when I buy that stuff.

Copyright © 2009 - Secrets of a Former Fat Girl - is proudly powered by Blogger