Special Ops Mission of the Week

I've challenged the members at Operation Fat Blaster to revamp one of their favorite comfort food recipes, and to post it on their blogs.

In all honesty, I am NOT a cook, and don't particularly like cooking. I cook because I have to eat, but I'm not the most creative or exciting person in the kitchen. I rely ALOT on great cookbooks by Devin Alexander, Rocco DiSpirito, and others to get me by when I'm feeling creative, and here are my favorite revamped recipes:

Devin Alexander's Double Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
Butter-flavored cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 inch non-stick cake pan with spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, using a sturdy whisk or spatula, mix the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites and sugar until they are well combined.

Add the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir the mixture until it is just combined and no lumps remain. Pour it into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chips evenly over the top. Bake the brownies for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry (a few crumbs are okay).

Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow them to cool 5 minutes. Cut into 12 equal brownies. Makes 12 (1 brownie) servings.

Each brownie has: 88 calories, 2 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, less than 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 133 mg sodium

Traditional Double Chocolate Brownies have: 260 calories, 3 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 12 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 165 mg sodium

I had the honor and pleasure of meeting and working out with Devin earlier this summer, and she even made several of her yummy treats for me - the Double Chocolate brownies included and they are my ultimate comfort food. I took Devin's personal suggestion of baking them in a mini muffin tin, then put them in the freezer. Making them in the mini muffin tin brings each brownie to approximately 50 calories, so whenever I need a "hit", I just take 2 out, put them in the microwave for a few seconds, and voila! I have my own homemade, healthy and decadent 100 calorie treat!

Enjoy!

xo,


"We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are." Adelle Davis

3 comments:

Tania said...

YUM! Definitely going to to try those! They sound sinfully delicious!

Debby said...

Now I want brownies!!!! Yum!

Deanna @ The Unnatural Mother said...

sounds delish - can't wait to check thisout!!

Copyright © 2009 - Secrets of a Former Fat Girl - is proudly powered by Blogger