Tosca Reno's Chicken and Barley SoupMy children and I LOVE this soup! I have a pot simmering on the stove as I type!
This hearty soup is perfect for those days when you don’t feel like cooking at all. Simple, tasty and nutritious, this soup will hit you in all of the right spots!
YIELD: 10 cups
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Nutritional Value for One-Cup of Soup:
Total Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Total Carbohydrates: 14.5 g
Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 11 g
Sodium: 200 mg
Cholesterol: 24 mg
- 2 medium-sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approximately 1 lb / 455 g), cubed
- 2 Tbsp / 30 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch coins
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large tomato, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tsp / 5 ml dried thyme
- 1 tsp / 5 ml dried celery seed
- 1/2 cup / 120 ml pearled barley
- 2 qt./2L of low-sodium organic chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp / 2 1/2 ml sea salt
- 1/2 tsp / 2 1/2 ml fresh ground black pepper
- Place barley in bowl with just enough water to cover it.
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in an 8-quart stockpot.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic to the olive oil, cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken to stockpot, along with the salt and black pepper. Brown for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, vegetables, and spices to the pot.
- Drain the water from the barley. Add the barley to the soup.
- Let the soup boil for 30 minutes on medium heat.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss